The following two tabs change content below.
Michael Lotfi is a Persian, American political analyst and adviser living in Nashville, Tennessee where he works as the executive state director for the Tenth Amendment Center. Lotfi graduated in the top 5% of his class with top honors from Belmont University, an award winning, private university located in Nashville, Tennessee.
Enjoy This Article? Share It! Facebook2225Twitter42Reddit1Pinterest0StumbleUpon1LinkedIn0Google+6

How often have Obamacare supporters pointed up north to parallel the great success of Canada’s healthcare system to Obamacare? For one, the two systems are different in many ways. Yet, the outcome is the same.

When you increase the number of individuals receiving care while simultaneously decreasing the incentive for bright, young minds to enter the medical field you end up with dead weight loss.

Social health care is sold on the idea increasing access to care. However the dead weight loss is exhibited in longer wait times, decreased access to care and diminishing quality of care.

Canada Pic

One Canadian mother recently shared the letter above on a social media network from the therapist to prove the point. The mother writes, “Canada’s health care system is a fucking joke. Took 18 months to get a referral in the first place. I’d rather pay out of pocket than wait in line.” Many suggested she come to America to receive care, or pay cash.

One commented, “Doctors there (America) try so much harder because they know they have to earn their pay unlike here. They swipe our cards (Canadian health cards) and that’s it.”

Even Canadian doctors know their system is a sham, as pointed out by another commentator, “My dentist goes to Buffalo. Pays cash for everything but says its worth it.”

16 comments for “Guess How Long This Canadian Parent Was Told She’d Have To Wait For Her Child To See Doctor

1. Sally
    October 25, 2013 at 4:48 am

I have a disabled child and waiting 9 months for OT is NOT normal. I was able to schedule it within two weeks, tops. The same for speech therapy and psych services. Within a month usually for any of those. I live in Ohio. I used to email a lady in Canada and she told me her daughter was denied a vital operation because they evaluated her other health issues and decided having one other issue was one too many, so they were going to let her die (she needed a heart transplant and they refused to put her on the list). She had a too-fast heartbeat, which is treatable, they felt she would wear the heart out sooner than normal, so rather than give a 25 year old more years of life, they outright denied her. The mom had no money for medical help in the U.S. and was at her wits end. I lost touch with her over time and I don’t know if the girl is alive or not. But Canada’s socialized medicine was going to let her die.

2. October 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Can’t speak from personal experience however my step mother a RN and my step brothers Father a ER Doctor are both Canadian and worked in Canada in the system for oh about 3 years before they moved to the US in the 80′s because it was that terrible. A No pay, bureaucratic nightmare… I cant tell you how much they have voiced their oppinion about what is going on and how bad and terrible it will mostlikely turn out being. The reciently current system was very bad but it looks like it went from bad to terrible. Pretty sure it was by design and a pretty amazing transfer of wealth… Land of the free lol… too bad we never gave capitalism a try kinda like the example lasik eye surgery… not covered subsadized and yet the cost has dropped year after year 12k per eye down to 2k or less for both… would have could have happened here but power and wealth had to be transfered again… enjoy

3. Pfarthing6
    October 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Maybe somebody could be bothered to read what kind of treatment this is? It’s not a medical treatment at all. It’s for handicapped kids with learning disabilities. It’s basically a kind of developmental therapy. They just happen to call it “occupational” because it sounds nicer.

Before using this “evidence” to support anti-universal health care or to say anything about Health Canada, perhaps one should do a bit more research and actually figure out what’s going on?

And the parent laments about not being able to pay out of pocket? Just ask any parent in the US how much that kind of special needs therapy costs. Most parents will be glad to wait a year or even a bit more to get it for FREE!

While the pros and cons of Obummer-care are very debatable, to try to make some statement against universal health care by pointing out how bad the Canadian system is and doing that by misrepresenting evidence is totally misleading and borders on DECEPTION. That nobody bothers to look at the evidence and figure out for themselves, but would rather just rally behind whatever they already believe, is even more pathetic.

And what does it imply to compare Americans to the Canadians and say, “Oh my, look how bad they do it. There’s no possible way we could ever do it any better than the Canadians!”

Personally, I wouldn’t listen to anything said by a person with such a low opinion of American ability and ingenuity.

4. October 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm

9 months is a small wait in Canada. My mother, father, brother and I waited 5 years before we saw a doctor. At one point I had to see an endocrinologist urgently, they acknowledged it was urgent, the wait was 24 months. I know people who waited 10 years after the government decided to send 10 000 experienced health care workers into early retirement. Also, those 10 000 health care workers didn’t get to transfer their knowledge to the newer health care workers, it destroyed the health care system.

5. Mary Niski
    October 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Your headline is WRONG! An Occupational Therapist is not a doctor. Frequently there are long wait times for Pediatric OT services here in the states as well.

6. Donna
    October 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm

My husband and I are Canadian. We have never had a problem getting the best of care in Canada….each case is treated differently, if you need immediate care you get it, you also get the best Doctors available as needed. You pay through taxes according to income. Everything else is taken care of, except for any very minimal payments. Not one person is afraid to go to a doctor, have surgery, or whatever. As far as my family is concerned, we are very fortunate to have our great health care system, even with the small glitches that can occur,, , all people are treated equally. The so called Obama Care in the US is a form of genocide in my opinion.

7. Babs
    October 23, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Aren’t there medical care brokers in Canada? They search the best treatments here in the states and then provide the info to Canadians wanting to pay for their treatment here?

8. JTB
    October 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

Gee, I had to wait 9 months to get a sleep study, and I thought I was living in the USA. I have also had Canadian friends tell me they didn’t believe all the negative stories of their health care was coming from actual Canadians. Yes I am sure they have real problems but we can match them, horror story for horror story.

9. Roland Wiggin
    October 23, 2013 at 5:40 am

@colie: You’re comparing unlike things. There are {at least} four different kinds of health care that are distinct and different and need to be treated differently. The major problem with the health care debate in this country is that we have been lumping them all together as one thing and then people can do like you’re doing; point to one piece and claim that because that one needs to be handled in a certain way then all of it does, and that’s just false.

10. Jack
    October 23, 2013 at 5:28 am

To all the naysayers of the article below, in terms of healthcare what exactly do you think 9 months is an appropriate waiting time for? I look forward to your responses.

11. Healthy and Happy
    October 23, 2013 at 4:58 am

Maybe that explains why there’s a health care boom in Buffalo, NY…

12. brendan c
    October 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

I like how the letter has no details. This article is worthless

13. colie
    October 23, 2013 at 2:02 am

Are you kidding me ? Where else could you go ,get in a car accident need major surgery and walk away paying only for your ambulance ? Or your mother has a fall, fractures a hip recovers $0.00 then receives free physiotherapy… Again only paying for the ambulance…Your child needs stitches Oppp NO payment needed ….Come on….. Canada has one of the BEST health care systems around ….Yes we have some wait times for some procedures BUT better this, then to go lose your home from medical expenses …Francois sounds like you believe in alternative heath care That’s great but I have tried both find very little value in it . When you have those big price tag ticket health issues like stated above you sure learn to appreciate the Health Care in Canada ….

14. October 23, 2013 at 2:01 am

Romneycare was better! No wait?…

15. October 23, 2013 at 12:41 am

I agree, I live in Fredericton, NB, Canada. What I find when healthcare is ‘free’, there’s no incentive for people to take charge of their health. They think the system is going to fix them when they break down. And also, it forces everybody into the same system. What is ‘free’ is the basic emergency, the rest you still need a health insurance to get a better bed and such. I would rather pay for the visits and save all that income tax and go see alternate healthcare. I wouldn’t be surprised if the allopathic system of care is somewhat behind this socialist system. It ensures their monopoly.

16. tom3565
    October 23, 2013 at 12:33 am

Sad for so many people but to be honest I wish this to happen to every sheep that thought this was a great idea for all of us to live in this nightmare called Obamacare, careful what you wish for you just may get it.